UNI, COLLEGE, WORK, CONFUSION...MY EXPERIENCE

Hey my loves,

After finishing your GCSE'S knowing what steps to take next can be really difficult and stressful, there are so many options and paths which you can take so choosing what you want to do can be quite daunting for some. 

When I finished my GCSE'S I had the option of moving on to Sixth Form, College, getting a full time job or even an apprenticeship. I know today you are more limited as in the UK you have to stay in education until your 18 years old, but when I was at school you could leave at 16 and go into employment.

If you know what career you want to do, you have the upper hand as you can essentially choose A-levels to help this career or you can choose a course which will help you further you career choice, but if you are unsure on what you want to do it can be very difficult to choose which course or A-levels you want to do.It's okay if you don't know what you want to do for you career, many people think it is a bad thing that you have no idea what you want to do when you are older but not everyone has a passion for a particular subject.

For me choosing what I wanted to do after my final year at secondary school was really hard, growing up I always wanted to be a Veterinary nurse but as I grew up and had experiences in different life events my aspirations changed and I was growing on the idea of becoming a Primary School teacher.

When I finished school I went to open days and tester days at the local college looking at doing a Childcare after finding out more information on the course and the college itself I realised that college wasn't for me and I may be better of staying on to do sixth form, so I started to look at A-levels.

At the time, the school that I had been at since I left primary school did not have a sixth form so I had to start the process of open days and tester evening again at local sixth forms. After finally finding one that I liked and that catered my needs I started to look at the A-levels which I wanted to do.

Not knowing exactly what I wanted to do when I started a career was really hard as it made choosing my options even harder. I am a very caring individual who always puts others before myself, so I decided that Health and Social Care would be a good A-level for me to chose as it can take you down so many career paths such as teaching, nursery work, Doctor, Nurse and so on and so forth. I also had a real interest in society and how our country is run and the roles of different individuals in society so I also opted for Sociology.

Once starting sixth form in my first year I was meeting all my targets in both subjects but when it came to exam day for Sociology I flopped and panicked and didn't get a great grade so I ended up dropping sociology in my second year and just carried on with my health and social care. I ended up studying at sixth form for 3 years and came away with three Distinction* which is the equivalent to 3 A*, I was dead happy but I had no clue where to go from there.

I didn't go to Uni as it really didn't appeal to me and being one of the youngest in the year I didn't feel at all ready. So where am I now you ask? Well pretty much coming straight out of sixth form I landed myself a part time job in retail...exactly all those years of working and I am not doing what I love, I want to be an Occupational Therapist but instead I am stuck in something which I never thought I would be doing.

Next year I hope to be back studying to become an Occupational Therapist. My point of this post is to try and let you know that it's okay if you don't know what you want to do and you do things which may not have necessarily met your needs for the career you have now decided on.

It doesn't always work out the way you want it to even if you do know what you want to do, look at me I know exactly what I want to do but yet I am in a retail job which has nothing to do with my dream job.

In my opinion everything happens for a reason, you may be taken down a path which you don't understand and one that you may not think makes sense. But all of these experiences will change you as a person and will teach you many things so you will be wiser and better informed when you finally decide it's time to follow your dream.

If you are motivated you will make the career you want happen, even if you do have some little hiccups or wrong turns along the way. My main point is, it's okay to be confused about which path you want to take and it will all work out in the end if you stay motivated!

See you all soon.

Victoria Ann xx

1 comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

© Victoria Ann

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig